Woolery Weave Off
It's time for the Woolery Weave-Off to kick off once again!
We're having a Weave-Off to celebrate the New Year and new beginnings by being creative and providing something to those in need. What you need to do: Weave a dish towel with Bluegrass Mills Cotton to compete for prizes in four separate categories. Here’s the thing though, you don’t get your towel back, because we’re donating them all to a local area women’s shelter, because women in crisis need the special energy that handwoven textiles provide, too!
Grand Prize Winners in each category will get Spectrum Packs of our BGM 6/2— that’s 24, one-pound cones of yarn in a whole array of colors!
Second and Third Place Winners in each category will get $50 Woolery gift cards.
You need to use our Bluegrass Mills 6/2 Cotton Yarn to weave your entry, so we're offering 25% off the price of this yarn from January 15th - February 17th!
Choose one category to enter:
1) Beginners; those who have been weaving less than one year. Please use the honor system when determining your beginner status!
2) Rigid heddle weavers (remember, 6/2 is great in plain weave at 15 or 16 EPI; you can do that on a rigid heddle loom!)
3) Color: here’s the chance to be outrageous; remember, you’ll never need to wear it. Be bold and inventive, and knock our socks off!
4) Pattern: stretch yourself. Do you have 4 extra shafts on your loom that have just been looking at you funny? Use them, be brave and inventive; learn something and get out of your comfort zone!
Entries must be mailed to:
859 East Main Street, Suite 1A
Frankfort, KY 40601
Here’s the fine print - we ask that you read completely before deciding to enter:
- The minimum size for each towel is 15” x 24”, washed and hemmed.
- The towels must be WASHED and hemmed for consideration. In the words of the wonderful weaving teacher Laura Fry, “It isn’t finished until it’s WET finished.”
- One entry per person - entries must also contain the Woolery Weave Off Entry form, which can be downloaded here.
- Contest entries MUST be postmarked by May 17th, 2021, to be considered. Entries postmarked after that time will not be entered in the contest, and will not be returned.
- Entrants acknowledge they will not get their submissions back. In the event that we receive too many towels to donate to one place, sister residential shelters/organizations in nearby Lexington and Louisville will receive the ‘spillover’ .
- Winner agrees to have her/his towel and name used in photos and on social media platforms.
- You MUST use Bluegrass Mills 6/2 Cotton to weave your towel. You can only use Bluegrass Mills cotton, do not combine with other yarns.
- Odds of winning change with number of entries received.
- Winners will be notified on or around June 21st, 2021. Winner has 14 days to claim her/his prize.
- Lists of winners and runners-up in each category will be available on our blog after June 28th, 2021.
- Contest is open to entrants aged 18 years and over.
- Woolery employees and immediate family members are welcome to participate, but they are not eligible to win.
- Woolery suppliers are welcome to participate, but they are not eligible to win.
- Entrant assumes the cost of shipping the towel.
- Winner of prize assumes responsibility for all and any taxes/tariffs/duty fees incurred.
- No ghost weavers! Towels must be woven by the person entering the contest.
- Dyeing the yarn is not allowed.
- Please do not put any fringe on your towels