Selbu Patterns: Discover the Rich History of a Norwegian Knitting Tradition
Author: Anne Bardsgard
Anne Bårdsgård grew up in Selbu, and has always had a close relationship with her hometown and its rich knitting history—her relentless interest in the traditional mittens that made Selbu famous worldwide became the groundwork for her first book, the stunning all-in-one historical reference, design compendium, and mitten pattern guide Selbu Mittens. Now, she's delved into the wider realm of sweaters, cardigans, socks, and hats, with this companion collection: over 450 motifs that can be adapted and combined using any of the foundational garment patterns included, based on extensive and thorough documentation of photographs, drawings, and preserved samples of historical knitted items from Selbu. The result is a unique and unequaled look into the traditional knitting culture of the Selbu region—and an endlessly inspiring pattern resource.
- Dive into a comprehensive survey of decades of design work by professional knitters whose work was exported and sold worldwide
- Choose from among the basic patterns for multiple garment types, and pick your favorite motifs from a carefully organized library of hundreds
- Embrace the local knitting tradition that sparked an entire home industry, with a pattern reference guide unlike any other
Anne Bårdsgård (b. 1966) is a craftswoman with an education from the Department of Textiles at the Bergen University College of Art. She has had several solo exhibitions and participated in a number of collective exhibitions at home and abroad. Her works have been purchased by Norwegian art industry museums, the Arts Council, and the Foundation for the decoration of public buildings and more. Bårdsgård has grown up in Selbu, in 2013, she got an idea: Was it possible to collect, register and transcribe patterns from Selbu and collect them in book form to put the motto production in Selbu in a national cultural-historical context? The book Selbuvotter is a successful result of the project.
- Hardcover: 296 pages
- Publisher: Trafalgar Square Books (September 14, 2021)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1646010884
- ISBN-13: 9781646010882
- Dimensions: 8.75 x 11.75 inches