Wool combing is a little alarming to the novice - swinging heavy implements with long, needle-sharp teeth can be hazardous. Yet this method of preparation produces the most wonderfully organized, fluffy, silky fiber imaginable. In this workshop, Robin Russo covers the basics and much, much more.
- You will see a wide range of tools in action, from simple pet combs to hand-held Viking combs, to Russian paddle combs, to classic English combs.
- You will learn that combing is perfect for cleaning out guard hairs and debris, for blending fibers of similar length, and for true worsted spinning.
- You will see how different combs are appropriate for different fibers, and how to choose the kind that's best for you.
- You will learn important guidelines for safety and for equipment care and maintenance.
- You will hear intriguing stories of wool combing in history, from martyred saints to craft guilds.