Spinning Wheel Maintenance
Taking care of your spinning wheel can be fun, something that we try to do at least twice a year - more if we spin a lot.
Download PDF Version Here
- Screw driver and/or Allen wrenches
- Cotton cloths
- Cotton Rags
- Spinning Wheel oil
- White Lithium Grease
- Wheel & Loom Wax and/or Furniture Polish
- Replacement Wheel Parts as needed
- Rubbing Alcohol
- Spread a drop-cloth on the floor or you may use a worktable.
- Remove all the bobbins & flyer.
- Thoroughly clean off all the areas that you normally oil. These areas are usually covered with dust and fiber.
- Clean out all the orifices with q-tips dipped in alcohol
- Remove the treadle and slather grease in the holes that house the treadle points.
- Tighten any loose legs or wheel supports. Use an Allen wrench or screwdriver depending on the wheel.
- If your wheel has a leather conrod-joint, soak the leather in oil or apply leather conditioner. Rub it in, let it stand a few minutes and wipe off excess. If your leather or poly conrod-joint is dried and cracked remove it and replace.
- Replace worn drive or brake bands - if needed.
- Oil all moving parts. Don't forget the treadle hinges and crankshaft areas. Also, some bobbins need a good squirt of oil down the center hole.
- Wax or polish your entire wheel.
Check for any residual oil or grease and wipe it before you start spinning. Have fun!
Watch these helpful videos from Kromski - New Voyager!