Folding Spinning Wheels
Here are four folding double treadle spinning wheels that are on the market: the Ashford Joy, the Kromski Sonata, the Lendrum and the Louet Victoria. This page brings them all together so you can compare looks and details that will help you make the right spinning decision. There are a number of factors to be considered; not all will be important or carry the same weight for each spinner. Think about how you will use your folding, portable wheel. Consider what is important to you if you have other wheels; evaluate what others have said about these wheels, but in the end, let your criteria govern your choice. Your reasons for choosing one wheel over others may not be the same as the next person's, but they will be right for you.
- Total weight - all the parts that go with wheel
- Height of orifice
- Diameter of wheel
- Size of treadles
- Size and number of bobbins
- Type of Lazy Kate
- Add-on accessories
- Carry Bag
- Type of wood
- How the wheel folds
- How easily the wheels folds and opens
- Threading hook
- Scotch tension (type of spring, location of peg)
- Ease of adjustment
- Footprint and how wheel sits on floor
- Size of wheel folded and in a carry bag
|Wheel Name||Joy||Sonata||Upright||Victoria||Little Gem||Sidekick||Bee|
|Weight||11.2 lbs.||11.4 lbs.||13.6 lbs.||7.5 lbs.||10 lbs.||13 lbs.||13lbs.|
|Height of Orifice||22.25"||30.5", adjustable||30", adjustable||23"||26'', adjustable||25''||28''|
|Wheel Diameter||15"||19.5"||19"||14"||8.25'' (accelerated system)||13.75''||2''-9'' (accelerated system)|
|Number of bobbins||3||3||4||3||3||3||2|
|Size of bobbins*||18.56 cu. inches||29.26 cu inches||19.94 cu. inches||24.3 cu. inches||34.67 cu. Inches||29.92 cu. Inches||TBA|
|Lazy Kate||2 bobbin on wheel||2 bobbin on wheel||3 bobbin,||2 bobbin, separate||2 bobbin, separate||3 bobbin, separate||3 bobbin, attached|
|separate & tensioned|
|Ratios - standard||6, 8, 12 and 15||6.7, 12.5 and 14||6, 8 and 10||6, 8.5 and 13||4.5, 6, 8.5, 10.5, and 12.75||6.25, 7.7, 9, and 11||5, 7.5, 12, 12.5, 18, 27.5, 15, 20, 35|
|Additional Flyers||None||Jumbo Flyer||Jumbo Flyer||Fast Flyer||Fine, Lace, Plying, and Jumbo Flyer||Jumbo Flyer||none|
|Faster Flyer||Fast Flyer|
|Carry Bag, source||Optional||Included||Optional||Optional padded||Included Majacraft||None||Optional, Spinolution|
|Ashford and Woolery||Kromski||Woolery|
|Type of wood||Ply and MDF laminated||Alder and Birch||Maple||Beech or Oak and MDF laminated||Rimu fiberboard with Rimu face||Apple Ply and Maple||Birch Ply|
|How it folds||put bobbins, flyer in place,||remove flyer head:||remove flyer head||remove flyer/bobbin;||Remove the flyer head; fold down the spin assembly, fold over treadles.||Remove flyer/bobbin, store flyer under treadle; fold down front and rear maidens; remove footman knobs; fold treadles and secure with footman knobs.||Fold down flyer assembly and secure with locking peg; fold up treadles|
|remove one footman||remove locking screw:||remove locking screw;||remove footman from wheel;|
|release 2 hinges;||fold then screw/lock||fold then screw/lock||store flyer under frame|
|fold and lock||store flyer head on frame||release locking pin:|
|fold and lock|
|Threading Hook||Yes||Yes||Yes||Not required due to orifice size.||Yes||Yes||None required|
|Scotch Tension||Adjusting peg up||Adjusting peg up||Adjusting peg at||Adjusting peg up||Adjusting peg up||Adjusting peg up||Adjusting peg lefthand side of flyer, spring|
|front; spring||front, spring||rear, rubber band||front, spring||front, spring||front, spring|
|Footprint||17" x 15"||17" x 14"||18" x 15"||13" x 15.5" sits on 4 hard plastic feet||16'' x 14'' sits on 4 feet||27 ¼'' x 18'' sits on four rubber feet in front and wood legs in the back||19'' x 13''|
|sits on 6 soft rubber feet||sits on 4 soft feet||sits on 3 soft|
|Treadle size*||5.25" x 12"||4" x 12"||5" x 9.75"||3.75" x 9.75"||13.5'' x 5''||7'' x 14''||TBA|
|Size of wheel folded||25" x 15" x 6"||22.5" x 19.5" x 6.75"||28.75" x 19" x 7"||21.25" x 14" x 5.25"||21'' x 6''||21.5'' x 8.25 x 15''||12'' x 19'' x 9''|
Joy not normally positioned this way. For comparison only!
- Height of orifice: the Kromski and Lendrum allow for adjustments to raise/lower the orifice height in a range of 2-3 inches
- Louet Carry Bag and Kromski Tote Bag are included in purchase.
- Ease of folding: this is a judgment call; all wheels are easy and take less than a minute to complete.
- Time to open/Time to fold: for opening, we began with the folded wheel on the floor as it would be out of a bag; the test ended when the wheel was assembled and ready for spinning, but not adjusted. For folding, we started with the wheel fully assembled and the test ended with the wheel ready to put in a bag. Test was done by someone that knows how to open and fold each wheel without having to guess what to do or how to do it. After practice, there is no reason to think that any of these wheels can not be opened or folded in under one minute by anyone. Time differences for single treadle Joy and Lendrum negligible.
- Adjustment of drive band - while the Joy and Victoria offer no way to adjust tension on the drive band, it may not be needed if properly done when made. However, as bands get older and loose some memory, the ability to adjust can be important for a longer life of band. Also, having the proper tension of the band can noticeably improve the feel for treadling, so having control of this is good.
- Treadle size: length was calculated from front to rear, allowing for usable space for the foot.
- For pictures shown with leg silhouettes, note that the spinner is sitting on a stool that is 18.5" high; the spinner is 5 foot, 4 inches in height.
- Bags - Sonata, Joy and Lendrum bags (Joy and Lendrum bags are Woolery products) are heavily padded. Victoria bag is not padded but key points have padding added. We judge the Joy, Sonata and Lendrum to be quick to bag up. The Victoria is a bit of a puzzle that requires parts to be placed in a particular manner and order and will take a good bit more time to pack than the other wheels. We judge the Joy and Sonata bags to be the best to protect their wheels.