The Backyard Sheep: An Introductory Guide to Keeping Productive Pet Sheep
Author: Sue Weaver
Useful and lovable, sheep make wonderful backyard pets. Their fleece is fundamental to all sorts of fiber arts; their ultra-rich, high-fat milk produces delicious cheese; and if you raise herding dogs, sheep are a must! Sue Weaver's complete guide to raising two or twelve sheep covers everything from their place in history to their place in your backyard.
- Choosing a breed. Select the sheep that best suit your climate, facilities, and purpose.
- Housing and feeding. You want your sheep to be comfortable, well nourished and safe.
- Caring for sheep. Identify and treat illnesses and afflictions, breed your ewes, and see them safely through lambing season.
- Producing beautiful fleece. Handspinner-quality fleeces don't just happen; discover how to get the best from your sheep.
- Milking. Basic techniques and tips on handling your fresh milk will turn you into a pro in no time.
- Making cheese. Sheep-milk cheese and yogurt are two of the finest reasons to keep sheep.
- Paperback: 224 pages
- Publisher: Storey Publishing, LLC (May 21, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1603429670
- ISBN-13: 978-1603429672
- Product Dimensions: 7 x 0.6 x 9.1 inches