Intermediate and Advanced Punch Needle Rug Hooking: Techniques, Projects and Inspirations
Author: Amy Oxford and Louise Kelp
The first guide taking punch needle crafters to intermediate and advanced levels with expertly explained techniques, exciting projects, and inspiring examples by 26 Oxford Certified Instructors.
For punch needle lovers who want to reach the next level of skill and enjoyment with their craft, Amy Oxford, the inventor of the craft's standard tool (the Oxford Punch Needle) and founder of the Oxford Rug Hooking School, provides instructions and artistic inspiration.
In these pages, a combination of teaching, examples, and projects give makers a perfect mix for building their skills and for punching up their excitement.
- Using novelty yarns with the Seashell Project
- Sculpting with the Sweater Letter
- Shading with Shaded Leaves
- Punching with fabric strips with the Flower Project
- Two-color beading stitch with the Perfectly Paisley Project
Amy welcomes 26 guest instructors throughout who offer examples of their works that highlight the techniques, from shading with handpainted yarn to succeeding with narrative designs.
Three Oxford Certified Instructors have their own chapters:
- Margaret Mitchell teaches a design technique for telling stories with our punch needles
- Colleen Faulkner, a water color artist as well as a puncher, teaches a painter’s approach for shading with yarn
- Judith Hotchkiss teaches how to create and assemble three-dimensional objects, in this case a fantastic flock of birds
For each technique and project, shows and explains variations (created by different punchers and in different colorways).
Gorgeous image galleries of works in a wide range of styles show combinations of the book's techniques and include the artists' comments, tips, and insights.
An unusual source of inspiration: photos of the capstone projects that were designed and punched by today's top punch needle artists, as the final step to qualify for their Oxford Teacher Certifications.
Amy Oxford is the inventor of the Oxford Punch Needle and is an internationally renowned instructor. Founder of the Oxford Rug Hooking School, she teaches, runs instructor certification programs, and for more than 30 years has inspired needle punch crafters to excel. She is the author of the bestselling Punch Needle Rug Hooking: Your Complete Resource to Learn & Love the Craft. She lives in Cornwall, Vermont.
Louise Kulp is a painter, fiber artist, and art educator and in 2018 earned certification as an Advanced Oxford Instructor with a focus on special techniques. Louise has taught the joy of punch needle rug hooking to hundreds of students in many different settings, from women in a grief support group in rural Maine to second graders in an after-school program in the Bronx. She lives in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
- Hardcover: 240 pages
- Publisher: Schiffer (February 28, 2024)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0764367579
- ISBN-13: 9780764367571
- Dimensions: 9.9 x 0.3 x 8.5 inches