Instructions to Scour Cotton Sliver or Cotton Yarn
Instructions to Scour Cotton Sliver or Cotton Yarn Difficulty: Easy
Things You'll Need:
* Container for soaking
* Enough water for soaking, plus one to two gallons for scouring
* Non-reactive stock pot
* Soda ash
* Synthrapol fabric detergent
* Long spoon
- Soak sliver/yarn for at least 30 minutes in enough water to fully immerse it.
- Remove sliver/yarn from water and set it aside. Add one to two gallons of water to the Non-reactive stock pot. Make sure the water level will be high enough to cover the yarn and allow it to move freely.
- Sprinkle in one tablespoon of soda ash for each gallon of water and add 1/2 tsp. Synthrapol per gallon of water.
- Place sliver/yarn in the Non-reactive stock pot and heat to boiling. Stir the fiber/yarn lightly through the water, making sure all fibers are completely bathed.
- Simmer sliver/yarn in the Non-reactive stock pot for 30 minutes.
- Remove sliver/yarn from the water and rinse it several times. Three to five rinses should be enough. The sliver/yarn can be wrung and used immediately. It is not necessary to dry it before beginning the dyeing process.