A member of the bast family of fibers, banana yarn is similar to linen. The yarn weaves up a bit stiff, but softens with use. Ideal for decorative or household items. For wearable items, we recommend a banana warp combined with cotton, silk, or hemp for the weft.
This is a ligno-cellulosic fiber obtained from the stem of the banana plant. Due to its lightweight and comfortable hand, banana fiber is popular in Japan for use in summer wear as well as traditional kimono and kamishimo garments. Due to its relative strength, Banana fiber is used in currency paper, maritime ropes & cables and as a packing material for agricultural goods.
- Excellent mechanical strength with very limited elongation.
- It absorbs as well as releases moisture very fast.
- It is biodegradable and has no negative environmental effects, a true eco-friendly fiber.
- Material: 100% Banana Bast Fiber
- Weight: 16/4
- Physical Weight: 226g (~8 oz.)
- Approximate Yardage: 984 yds/cone (2000 yds/lb)
If you would like to spin your own yarn, try our Banana Top.