WithåÊNilda Callanaupa Alvaraz
Nilda Callanaupa Alvaraz, a native of Peru, is known as a champion for traditional Andean textiles.åÊ In this video, Nilda introduces spinning techniques and traditions of the Andes, from fiber preparation to finishing.
- Traditional Andean drop spindles
- Preparation of wool and alpaca fibers for spinning
- The Andean double-drafting technique for both drop spinning and support spinning
- Three ways to ply spindle-spun yarn
- Yarn preparation for knitting and weaving
As she demonstrates, Nilda talks withåÊInterweave founder Linda LigonåÊabout the textile traditions, customs, and beliefs of her native Peru.
Celebrate this rich and living heritage by joining Nilda and Linda to spin and chat as Andean women have done for thousands of years.
You will love this video if:
- You want to learn new spinning techniques steeped in ethnic tradition
- You are curious about spinning traditions from around the world
- You enjoy learning about different cultures through their textiles
Don't miss this opportunity to experience the world of Andean spinning! Dive into new spinning realms and learn something new along the way!åÊ