Rug Hooking / Braiding / Kumihimo
WHAT YOU NEED TO START RUG HOOKING:
- backing material (such as Scottish Burlap)
- strips of cloth or yarns or lengths of ribbon
- frame or hoop to hold your work
- rug hook(s)
- how-to books: "The Rug Hook Book" or "The Art of Rug Hooking" and/or DVD "Nantucket Rug Hooking" or DVD "Hooking and Braiding."
Nice to have: cutting machine with various cutter heads and punch needles.
WHAT YOU NEED TO START KUMIHIMO BRAIDING:
- Kumihimo stand
- yarn in various colors; usually silk, silk blends or high sheen yarns
- Kumihimo bobbins to hold down strands of yarn
- little pouch or cloth with coins or other weight for counterbalance
- how-to books: "A Beginner's Guide to Braiding" and/or DVD "Kumihimo."
Nice to have: box to store bobbins.